Section Index Page button
City of Winchester UK heading
Section Index Page button


50 images that take you on a tour of the ancient Ecclesiastical power base of the City Centre.
The other great Ecclesiastic foundation, Hyde Abbey, is the subject of another tour.
For full size images, click your start point thumbnail.

Start your walk here, at the Guildhall Tourist Information Office

1. Guildhall

Turn into Abbey Passage, at the side of the Guildhall.

2. Abbey Passage

View parts of this ancient Nunnery, founded by Queen Ealhswith in 903.

3. Nunnaminster

Turn left here into Abbey Gardens.

4. Abbey Gardens

Follow the path and walk through the Portico on the front of the Mill.

5. Abbey Mill

Abbey Mill, and the mill stream, were built to serve the needs of the Abbey (Nunnaminster

6. Abbey Mill

Colebrook Street is one of the original Anglo Saxon Streets of Winchester.

7. Colebrook St.

Turn into Scott Garden, which lies between Colebrook Street and Wolvesey Slips

8. Scott Garden

Admire the view of the River Itchen from the top of the steps. Descend the steps and turn left.

9. River view

Behind the steps , this is the only visible section of the city's Roman wall that remains.

10. Roman Wall

Follow the River Itchen downstream.

11. Riverside Walk

The back of the new St John's Almshouses (1929).

12. St John's

Narrow bridges cross the river to private gardens to your left. The walls of Wolvesey Castle to your right.

13. Wolvesey Slips

The residence of the Bishops of Winchester since the 10th Century, the Castle is now in ruins.

14. Wolvesey walls.

The Weir, which diverts some of the rivers flow, now lends it's name to the whole area. The original deeds to the land refer to 'slips' - small thin parcels of land.

15. The Weir

A view of Wharf Mill, a converted Mill and Warehouse  at the end of the once navigable Itchen Navigation, now used as private flats

16. Wharf Mill

Follow the right hand path to the side of Wharf Mill as it skirts around Wolvesey Castle grounds.

17. Keep right

Here several paths converge and exit into College Walk.

18. Exit

The junction of College Walk (To the left) and College Street (Ahead).

19. College Walk

The surviving East wing of the baroque style house, built in 1684 by Bishop Morley, is still used today as the Home of the Bishop of Winchester.

20. Bishops House

The Chapel and buildings of Winchester College viewed from the gates of Wolvesey Castle.

21. College

Part of the River Itchen flows under College Street here.

22. College St.

Entrance to Winchester College.

23. College

Founded by William of Wykeham, Bishop of Winchester and one time Chancellor of England, to educate 70 scholars of 8 -12 years of age.

24. College

A peaceful green area with a fine close cropped lawn.

25. Garden

8 College Street is where Jane Austen spent the last six weeks of her life.

26. Jane Austen

A view of College Street.

27. College St.

The less well known facade of Cheyney Court, which adjoin the walls to the Close.

28. Cheyney Court

'Cornflowers', on the corner of College Street and Kingsgate Street, is the College Gift Shop.

29. 'Cornflowers'

Kingsgate is one of only two surviving medieval gateways of Roman origin that survive in Winchester.

30. Kingsgate

The church of St Swithun-upon-Kingsgate is one of the country's few remaining churches  over city gates, and is still used for services.

31. Kingsgate

The 16th Century Priory Gate, with it's nail studded doors and inset pedestrian gate, is surmounted by a tiny house, the Porters Lodge, once occupied by the Cathedral Organist.

32. Priory Gate

The Pilgrims Hall is a flint rubble walled hall, open to the public, that has the oldest surviving hammer-beam roof in England, possibly dating from 1290.

33. Pilgrims Hall

Cheyney Court is late 16th Century, and the building in which the Bishop would hold his Court over the Soke.

34. Cheyney Court

Another view of Priory Gate, and the tiny Porters Lodge perched on top.

35. Priory Gate

The Deanery, with it's 13th Century vaulted porch, was largely rebuilt in the 17th Century after being damaged during the Civil War. The Hall to the left of it is 15th Century.

36. The Deanery

The far side of the 15th Century Hall that adjoins the Deanery, looking toward the Norman arches of the Chapter House.

37. 15th Cent. Hall

No 9  'Church House' is a 17th Century 3 storey, 3 gabled stone building.

38. Church House

The Norman arches of The Chapter House are one of the few remaining traces of the original Monastic Buildings that were swept away after the Dissolution.

39. Chapter House

A view across The Close toward the Education Centre.

40. The Close

Follow the line of the Flying Buttresses along the South side of the cathedral.

41. Buttresses

Exit from the Close at the West front. Here may be found the Visitor's Centre and the main entrance to the Cathedral.

42. War Memorial

The foundations of the current Cathedral were laid out in 1079 by Walkelin, the first Norman Bishop.

43. West Front

The site of the Old Minster is outlined in brick in the grass to the North side of the present cathedral.

44. Old Minster

Follow the path around the North side of the Cathedral, toward Morley College.

45. Morley College

The view across the churchyard to the North transept and tower

46. North Face

Founded by Bishop Morley in 1672 as a charitable foundation for the widows of clergy from Winchester and Worcester Dioceses

47. Morley College

Just before you reach the Wessex Hotel, turn left and follow the path across Market Lane and the remains of St Maurice Church.

48. Wessex Hotel

All that now remains of St Maurice Church is the Tower, with this Norman arch at it's base.

49. St Maurice

On passing through St Maurices Tower or Covert, turn right into the High Street and return to the Guildhall.

50. High St.

Section Map page button

Section Map

City of Winchester UK home page


©Copyright Group-Web Holdings 1998 ©

Walks Section Index Page button


Navigation Page button


Contact us page button

Contact us

GoTo Group-Web Holdings

Last updated 31 January 2011